Vacancy – Charity Family Support Worker
Initial 6-month Contract – 5 Hours per week @ £12.00 per hour
About MyOTAS (My Own Time and Space)
MyOTAS was set up to help autistic/neurodivergent children and young people, with or without a diagnosis, and their families by:
- Children’s activities – providing accessible and inclusive social activities and opportunities for children, in a low-pressure environment, to boost their self-esteem, make friends and improve their social skills;
- Family Support – providing a range of face to face and online support, including support groups, wellbeing walks, training and 1:1 support to provide information and empower parents and carers to advocate for their child;
- Increasing awareness and acceptance of autism and neurodiversity in the community and with services providers.
We are seeking a committed and compassionate person to join our dedicated Family Support Team. Duties will include:
- Being part of a team at support groups and over time, hosting sessions; this may be face to face or on-line.
- Providing 1:1 support in a useful and non-judgemental way. Where sessions are face to face, these will be in a public place.
- Attending regular team meetings.
- Providing support to families via online requests to the charity’s email and social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Attending other events or activities as required.
- Delivering support and maintaining accurate records in line with the charity’s safeguarding and GDPR policies.
You will learn the technical aspects of the role on the job and be supported by other members of the team who help each other to provide the best support to families. Training for specific areas of knowledge is available.
You will be based at home but required to attend activities in Wickford and Basildon. Mobility within this area is an advantage but not essential. Hours worked are flexible and may include some evening or weekend work.
Skills and experience required
- Lived experience of supporting a neurodivergent young person.
- Good listening skills.
- Organisational ability.
- Problem solving skills to help navigate services and find solutions.
- A commitment to help achieve the charity’s values and objectives.
To apply, please send your cv to firstname.lastname@example.org by 19th May 2023
Please note – MyOTAS are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.